Tuesday, May 29, 2007

My work today... and the pitfalls of speech recognition

I suffer from carpal tunnel syndrome in my right wrist, so I often use speech recognition software when translating, which can sometimes lead to hilarious, dangerous errors.

As I was about to press the send button delivering a translation to one of my best clients, an important American airline company, something caught my eye...

Where the hotel review should have read friendly hospitable staff, were these words...

Fondly despicable staff


5 comments:

sognatrice said...

Hah! But which one is actually the more honest assessment?

Jennifer said...

Good thing you caught the error!

Jenn in Holland said...

yes, sometimes you grow fond of despicable staff. Like the crochety nurses in the labor and delivery ward? You grow fond after awhile of their rough ways.

Brillig said...

I can think of one instance where I became quite fond of the despicable staff at a hotel... But that's a whole different story...

So glad you caught the error! Though really, it would have been pretty funny. Can you imagine reading that in a flyer? "Come meet our fondly despicable staff!" It would probably generate a lot more publicity. Hahaha.

The Artist said...

LOL Despicably funny.

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks