Sunday, July 8, 2007

A thinker's slump


I've been in Colorado for a week now. My husband and dog both made it, and I think I'm officially over jetlag. The fact that I'm finally getting more sleep and somewhat settled means that I also finally have time to think. And you know what I'm thinking about? Nothing!


I guess you could call the state I'm in a slump. Not a writer's slump, since I truly don't think of myself as a writer. Not an artist's slump, since artistic ideas actually abound in my brain right now. I just lack the place to get them down on paper or canvas. This is more of a thinker's slump. I'm just not thinking. For someone who spends an overly abundant amount of her time contemplating, this feels pretty strange.

That girl laying on the prairie is me, gazing towards the house that is her brain full of thoughts and ideas, so far away. Well, maybe not so far away, but getting there requires getting up...

So I've decided to start thinking again on Monday. On Monday I will have a list of things to think about, including my children's insertion into an American school, my husband's effort to start his own business from nothing, my own work which will start pouring in the following week, our eminent search for a house, our need for a second car, our new life made out of nothing...

But today, luckily for me, is Sunday.

6 comments:

anno said...

The pleasures of neutral gear are highly underrated. Enjoy your Sunday!

Rebecca said...

enjoy your 'unthinking' day - sounds like you've got a lot to sort out tomorrow.

What kind of business is your husband going to start???

Wow - what a frightening/exciting adventure you are on!

Carol said...

In a way -- a pretty BIG way -- I envy you!

Carol

Jennifer said...

Good luck with the thinking. It will probably come back on its own! Maybe your head just needed a break and some time to enjoy Colorado and having the family together again before getting back to work.

jennifer said...

Hi Carol- are you sure about that?

Neutral gear... that's it in a nutshell

Jenn in Holland said...

This is my favorite painting, if not of all time, then certainly by an American artist.
And, patience love, thinking can always be done tomorrow... or the day after that...