Thursday, July 19, 2007

Wonders never cease


I recently made a new blog acquanitance through one of my favorite bloggers, anno. Her name is Jen, and like anno, she is a writer. I have been following annos' blog for some time and reading back into the archives, and feel like I am in the presence of a real writer when I read her work. Jen's writing feels the same way- thought through and genuine. I think this is rare. I, myself, feel like a writer only about a quarter of the time, while the rest of the time I feel like I am mixing and matching the rest of me... the artist, linguist, messer upper... This is why I admire their type of solid writing.


And this is also why I was so taken aback when Jen gave me this cool award!


"Schmoozing is the natural ability “to converse casually, especially in order to gain an advantage or make a social connection.” Good schmoozers effortlessly weave their way in and out of the blogosphere, leaving friendly trails and smiles, happily making new friends along the way. They don’t limit their visits to only the rich and successful, but spend some time to say hello to new blogs as well. They are the ones who engage others in meaningful conversations, refusing to let it end at a mere hello - all the while fostering a sense of closeness and friendship"

I most definitely am not a real life schmoozer, so this little award seems even more incredible and unlikely. Nothing about being with others comes to me effortlessly, and happily making new friends is not one of my talents. But blogging is surely different, and I do believe that I have in a certain sense found my voice.

So it is with the greatest irony and wonder that I happily accept this cool award. I can joyfully cruise the supermarket aisles, not remembering a single thing I was supposed to buy, and not have to say hello to a single soul, since no one knows me, and still be a bona fide schmoozer.

Thanks Jen.

And I know I almost never tag people, but I schmoozing, in the finest sense of the word, made me immediately think of one person...

Rebecca, you are now an official schmoozer.




6 comments:

Rebecca said...

wow - I've now received two of these. Clearly my blog persona is a long way off my real personality!

Thanks Jennifer! (I think)

anno said...

Oh Jennifer, you are so definitely a writer... and a kind and generous reader--a great schmoozer!

Fourier Analyst said...

Yeeaa!! One of my favorite Schmoozers gave an award to another of my favorites! I haven't yet worked out how to put up my button (I just got instructions so soon) but now it seems that everyone I read regularly is getting this award. There's no one left for me to honor! (What I get for being a procrastinating newbie.) But in any case you both are very deserving.

Jennifer said...

Congrats on the award! I agree, you may not be a big schmoozer in real life, but you do have a lot of blogging buddies!

Jen said...

This was such a sweet posting, Jennifer. And I agree with Anno - you are completely a writer. Also, is that one of your pieces up top? It's so evocative and beautiful.

In terms of hanging the award, I didn't know what to do, either. I dl'd it to my i-photo and then put it in as an image, if that helps?

Brillig said...

Seeing this award here doesn't surprise me at all. I've never met you in person, but I feel like you're a dear friend--a friendship established through your words on your blog and the words you leave in the comments of mine. THAT is a real talent, and THAT makes you a "schmoozer" (and an excellent writer too)! Congrats on the award!

And congrats to Rebecca too. I couldn't agree more with your choice!