Thursday, August 23, 2007

The beds I've slept in

Being a rambler at heart, I like to think of the many beds I've slept in as notches on my travler's belt. In honor of my first Friday Fifteen, here are some of the most memorable...

1. The YMCA on 34th Street and 9th Avenue in New York City. Pretty dumb, I know, especially for an 18 year old Floridian in 1986 who had no idea what she was doing. There was a great diner on the corner that sold a killer grilled cheese for $1.50, the staple of my college diet.

2. A minus one star hotel in Los Mochis, Mexico, with a curtain for a door and a toilet down the hall. I still have no idea why I did that. Why didn't I just go sleep in a tent? It would have been far safer and far more private. I never slept that night...

3. A high rise swanky hotel in Moscow, seemingly the cream of the crop, but sadly lacking in tap water that wasn't a garish green color (this was only a short while after the breakup of the Soviet Union, not a happy time in Russia). And there was no bottled water to be found. Only Coca Cola or Vodka.

4. A mat on the dirt floor of a villager's hut in Nepal in the middle of nowhere. I had sprained an ankle, and had to stop walking for a few days. A lovely family gave us their only private (separated by a curtain) room, and many smiles from ear to ear. A lovely sleep.

5. An incredibly beautiful suite on the edge of the Costa Rican rain forest in a hotel that was way beyond my budget. We wanted a treat for one night. Unfortunately the lush, beautiful beds were full of insects. Invisible biting insects. No sleep that night!

6. A skinny little sofa in a Paris apartment, one of my lonliest voyages. The woman who rented me the room hated Americans as a race, and the damn pillow was a round little cylinder fit only for pillow fighting.

7. A gorgeous bed with white linen sheets on Eleuthera, with the sound of the sea through the open window.

8. The first matrimoniale I ever slept in in Italy, in the gorgeous romantic town of my courtship, Sirmione.

9. A hotel across from the train station in Chihuahua, Mexico. That was not a good idea. In Chihuahua, the train station is also across from the prison.

10. The air mattress in our honeymoon tent in Gargnano.

11. The huge bed of a top floor room in Brussels, where I slept off my first ever jet lag for two days straight.

12. A small twin bed in a closet of a room at the Gramercy Park Hotel in New York. The bed wasn't so great, but I rode up in the elevator with David Bowie. Just me and him...

13. A lumpy, cold bed in Creel, New Mexico. One of the dreamiest and best sleeps of my life up to that point.

14. A bed with a feather mattress in Oho Caliente, New Mexico. I had spent the day floating in the hot springs. A real wonderland.

15. A bed under a window overlooking the Red Sea, trying to imagine Moses.

17 comments:

anno said...

Wonderful list! I can just see these places (and I'm glad that the green water and biting bugs are far, far away).

And David Bowie, too. Wow!

BabyTalkers said...

What a creative list! Enjoyed reading it.

Jen said...

Oh, this is SO cool - I had great travels reading you this morning.

BTW... the Moscow hotel was the same DURING the Soviet Union, too, I'm sure. I stayed at a similar one during the beginning and end of my teaching exchange. And the no water thing is weird, no? I spent a lot of my time in Russia feeling dehydrated.

JennieBoo said...

Quite an interesting mix!

Thanks for sharing.

Happy Weekend!

Greg said...

Wasn't it Neruda who wrote something about "sleeping the sleep of oranges" ? I'm looking for that bed!

jen said...

This is FANTASTIC. I might even steal it I liked it so much. (if you don't mind, of course)

i envy your travels.

Carol said...

What a great idea... and what a great list! Surprised that you didn't mention the mountains of Colorado!

Carol

Fourier Analyst said...

Welcome to Friday Fifteen. What a great list. What adventures you have had. Your blogs often take me to such exotic locations, I just love reading you!!

cathouse teri said...

"Oh, I have seen too many beds, but I have known too little rest."

(Movie quote? Any guessers? Musical. No search engines!)

Let's not start counting the beds I've been in. :)

Rebecca said...

why was that cold, lumpy bed in mexico so dreamy? Was Mcgyver there?

jennifer said...

Hi Rebecca- if you hit that link, you'llsee that's where we met!

Karenkool said...

You are so cool!

Brillig said...

Wow. Hi. Adventurous, much? What an incredible list!!!

Bon said...

i'm here for the first time thanks to Jen but will be back...partly as i share a bit of your wanderlust past and am totally stealing this idea for a memory lane trip of my own, partly...well, you rode in an elevator with David Bowie. alone. dude. that's been my main fantasy since i was twelve and it's never happened, so clearly i will have to live vicariously through you. :)

Ally said...

Hey there, I'm here for the first time via Jen. I love that you remembered the details, even the pillows. I'm giving some thought to my own list, but I can tell you it's not nearly as exciting or far-reaching as yours.

sognatrice said...

Fun list! I may have to borrow this idea sometime....

Orangeblossoms said...

Oh my gosh! Were you at the Kosmos hotel in Moscow? I have so been there-- 1989..... the water was not drinkable-- but not green either. Thank God!

Great post, by the way!