Thursday, September 27, 2007

15 things my husband really knows how to cook

One thing you may not know about MacGyver- he's a chef. He worked as a chef before we met, and cooked his way through our 9 years of restaurant ownership. Italians are picky to say the least about their food, so being a chef over there truly entails polishing your art to its most sublime. Now I have his cooking all to myself, and I am one spoiled girl. Bear in mind that every single thing is homemade, from the pasta to the pastry dough! Here's a trapse through some of his best dishes...


1. Lasagne alla bolognese - this is defintely the real thing, from rolling out the pasta to cooking the sauce for an entire day. Deadly and heavenly.

2. Salmon and asparagus crepes - I ate these for lunch yesterday, they were leftover from the night before and are beyond words.

3. Apple strudel - he's a northern Italian...

4. Tagliatelle with lobster tails - with a sprinkle of fresh chives on top

5. Profiteroles - with dripping dark chocolate sauce on top

6. Spinach and ricotta ravioli - no comment necessary

7. Crème caramel - still warm

8. Crème brulè - still warm, too

9. Risotto with porcini mushrooms - we spent many days hunting wild mushrooms in the Italian Dolomites. These are the best and the risotto is amazingly delicate and strong flavored at the same time.

10. Spaghetti alla Carbonara - a sinful sauce of eggs and smoked pancetta and black pepper, and lots of grana padano

11. Costine allo spiedo with polenta - baby cut pork ribs wrapped in sage leaves and roasted slowly over the fire served with polenta. Hey! Stop drooling!

12. Crostata ai mirtilli - an Italian tart with fresh wild blueberries on top

13. Gnoochi - mmmmmm

14. Baked lake trout stuffed with fresh herbs - I never really liked fresh water fish until I tasted this

15. Classic cacciucco - Tuscan seafood stew with garlic bruschette. Trust me, you have died and gone to heaven.

8 comments:

anno said...

You and Sognatrice are just killing me this week.

The only comfort I can take is that the pleasure of reading about food this ambrosial is less caloric than eating it.

This sounds heavenly.

BabyTalkers said...

OMG, I am so jealous!!! Not to mention hungry and drooling and very excited for my trip to Italy in November.

Greg said...

What time is dinner?

Betsy said...

My mouth is WATERING! I'll have a 9 with a side order of 6 and 7 and 8 for dessert!

And I'll bet you're both coffee connoisseurs as well! Mmmmmmmmmmm!

jen said...

regarding #10:

does he ship, too?

Rebecca said...

I am envious. Hilary can't even make toast. Seriously. :)

Jennifer said...

You did have me drooling!

We had some fresh porcini yesterday from the mountains, with tagliatelle...but I wouldn't mind trying your husband's risotto!

Jen said...

Oh my goodness! So many of my favorites are on this list. I was not a lasagna fan until I tasted REAL lasagne bolognese for the first time. Yum. I'd love a good bolognese recipe if he's willing to share. Still haven't found one I like. He also makes all my favorite desserts.

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks