Sunday, September 16, 2007

Don't forget to take a walk

Get ready... It may not be official, but Fall is here.


Fall is my absolute favorite time of the year, followed closely by winter. There is something about the first chill in the air, the first rustle of leaves, that makes me feel alive. For a twist of fate I was unfortunately born in Florida, where fall was only a mirage. When I left for New York when I was 17, I felt I had gone to heaven. Fall in New York City is akin to paradise. Everything feels electric. Electrified.


I then moved on to New Mexico, where fall was downright spiritual. The colors and shapes and smells of fall in New Mexico make you forget what day it is, what year it is, what you should be doing. You wind up outside, maybe driving down a canyon road following your nose to the delicious inebriating smell of roasting chiles.


Then I moved to the mountains of Italy, where fall meant chestnuts. Heavenly roasted, boiled, dried, peeled chestnuts. The blight that robbed America of chestnuts was a truly cruel thing. Fall in Italy meant gathering chestnuts on the mountain side with my kids- rolling the prickly spines under your shoes to liberate the fat fruit. Filling your pockets and hat and hood...


Then there is now. Fall in the Rockies. In a word...

Aspens!

And all kinds of glorious creatures coming down the mountain to grab the last foraging food that's left before winter...



Or last years salt, still clinging to the gravel.

I've heard that Autumn means shorter days and depression for some, but I've never believed that at all. Autumn for me is rejuvenation. Impossible colors. Leaves blowing and geese flying overhead.


Don't forget to take a walk...


12 comments:

Jen said...

Oh, I so love the fall and it's perfect fall weather today. I was off with a friend for lunch yesterday and we stopped at the local cider mill and smelled the apples and bought donuts for Sunday breakfast. I am so ready for these activities!

But... it's going back up to the 80s this week.

There are times I hate the weather in Michigan!

And enjoy the beautiful, beautiful aspens. And were those a type of mountain goat? I didn't even know what they were.

ByJane said...

I am so totally in agreement! Which is why I love the High Holydays, because they really are all about starting over, clean slate, breathing in. Happy New Year!

anno said...

I love fall, too! These pictures make me miss the days when we headed to Yellowstone every September.

The chestnut trees were a great loss. There are, however, several farms that are making it their mission to restore these trees to our landscape (and diet!). We've been planting seedlings from Oikos tree farm in Kalamazoo (http://oikostreecrops.com/store/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=73&strPageHistory=cat)

Might not mean much in our lifetime, but we hope it might mean something for our daughter's.

Karenkool said...

Our fall comes late. I think I would adore a Colorado fall. I just dread seeing the summer go and we don't always superb fall colors here on eastern Long Island. Maybe this year we will, but I enjoyed your take on it including the photos.

I'm going in to NYC as many times as I can this season--because you are right about it being "akin to paradise. Everything feels electric. Electrified."

jen said...

what a beautiful, celebratory post.

Jennifer said...

The season is starting to change here too, with just a little bit of wind and the first yellowing leaves. Nothing like your Aspens, but I'll write about the chestnuts!

Betsy said...

The leaves are starting to change here and I'm trying not to wax melancholy. I feel my breath shorten along with the daylight hours and dread the impending winter solstice.

We're more settled in here now than we were this time last year, so that should ease some of the general tension. And as an avid hiker I can really appreciate the crisp edge in the autumn air and the technicolor glow of the leaves in the woods nearby.

Thanks for reminding me to really pay attention to the beauty around me! :-)

Greg said...

I too feel exhilarated by Fall. I find myself a bit distracted by the colors and the crisp air. I've struggled a bit the past few winters with bouts of depression, but never with Fall....(and I still enjoy winter)

Jenn in Holland said...

The leaves on the oak in our front garden are starting to goldenify (I don't know a better word) and are tumbling to the ground. I spent a good portion of Saturday morning sweeping them into a pile which just may have been an exercise in futility as I am watching the wind right now, whip them from the tree and send them hurtling toward the ground.
Mmmmmm.... autumn.

cathouse teri said...

I'm from the "other side" of the Rockies, and yes ~ Fall is gorgeous!

But I love Spring. After those winters, the first day when it is warm enough to roll your window down while driving. And you breathe in that fresh, crsip air. Mmmmmmmmm.

Summer soon follows with that warm, warm sun. And trips to the beach! (Not the Utah beach, of course ~ the California beach! Woo hoo!)

Rebecca said...

I love both fall (autumn!) and spring. I love the refreshing and relieving cool of autumn and then, equally, the happy warmth of spring.

I feel quite lucky to live in a place with changing seasons....

sognatrice said...

Another fall lover here! Growing up, I swear no one I knew liked fall more than (gasp!) summer, but now I'm actually starting to feel normal as we all come out into the open ;)

It's warmed up here quite a bit in the past few days--great for some last-minute beach runs--but I can't wait until I can comfortably wear a sweater....

Thanks for sharing your fall photos. Continue please!

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks