Monday, October 15, 2007

blog action day

Bloggers Unite - Blog Action Day

I've written here before how I feel inept to make a difference in the world in any real way. I't's easy to feel overwhelmed when facing politics, wars, hunger...


But the environment is different. My years in Italy gave me hands on experience with what climate change and pollution means, and a different point of view on how I can have a positive effect. My life in Italy gave me direct experience with pollution (many of northern Italy's rivers are hideously polluted), air pollution (everyone in the north knows about the dreaded afa that forms in the cities, a soupy smog so thick and dangerous that traffic is often suspended), and garbage. Living in Italy also taught me about how much space we humans really need (there was no room for urban sprawl where I lived... just enough space that forced you to respect your neighbor). There were no absurd sprawling green lawns, and the number of mega SUV's was just enough that they still seemed as obscene as they are. Life was a bit more frugal there in every sense (you don't leave lights on, you don't drive the long way, you don't turn the heat up on high), probably not because of virtue but because everything is so much more expensive than here in the US.


My own reasons for caring about the environment are so real I can touch them. Both of my brothers live on the east coast in prime hurricane territory. They each have small children. As I just wrote in my last post, I've come to live at 9000 feet altitude to chase down snow and nature. My life and that of my children were dreary and lacking without those. I also want their children to be able to see all the scenes I have posted here over these last few months. Wouldn't it be wonderful if children everywhere could run into scenes like this...




It's too important.

6 comments:

Jenn in Holland said...

Yes, precisely.
Brilliant post, Jennifer. And a brilliant point. What you write here is so valid and I find many of these same things true about our lives here in Holland as compared to our before life in the US. I am, as always, inspired by your words.

anno said...

A resounding yes! I've been thinking a lot about limits lately -- that they're helpful, not hindrances -- and this speaks beautifully to the importance of economy. Especially regarding the things that are most important to us.

Jen of A2eatwrite said...

I think we'd do so much better if our energy cost much, much more. The cost to the Earth could be counted in, and the extra money would be taxes that would be used SPECIFICALLY for environmental needs.

jen said...

amen.

Fourier Analyst said...

Yes it is too important. Lovely and moving post!

sue said...

徵信社,徵信,徵信,徵信社,外遇,尋人,徵信公司,徵信,抓姦,徵信,徵信社,外遇,抓姦,尋人,徵信社,徵信,抓 姦,抓姦,外遇,尋人,徵信公司,徵信,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,外遇,抓姦,尋人,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,外遇,尋人,徵信公司,徵信社,抓姦,徵信,外遇,徵信社,尋人,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信,徵信社,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,外遇,尋人,徵信公司,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,徵信社,徵信,A片,抓姦,A片