Tuesday, October 30, 2007

how dare they!

When I was in junior high school my girlfriends and I watched soap operas (and you thought I was an intellectual!). As the World Turns was the soap I would regularly watch with my grandmother. And between my friends and I the reigning feud was between Guiding Light and General Hospital, which both came on at the same hour after school on different channels. I was a General Hospital girl myself, and I literally remember the story of Luke and Laura as my own coming of age story. Her first kiss was my first kiss. Luke and his disco (that's right... does anyone else out there remember the disco?) with the colored lights flashing on the dance floor. At school we would swoon over the previous day's episode, and the Guiding Light girls would regularly tell us we were losers.

So here I am 25 years of life later. 15 years of expat living later. A marriage and two children later. I turn on the television one day, and to my total horror, there they all are! The characters from my blossoming teen years, walking around on those soap sets as if they had good sense... middle aged!!! With grown children! With wrinkles around their eyes (well, the men at least... the women look so botoxed and pumped with collagen that they resemble only a vestige of their former glory). There they are five marriages and heart transplants later, trying to keep up with the hot young new stars of the show and their steamy storylines. There they are taking on the roles of the wise mother, the caring nurse, the experienced doctor or alcoholic divorcee.

The real shock in all of this was of course me. I guess that their naked admission of their own middle aged status must mean that I am also in that club. The passage of time so evident that it stings. How dare they slap me in the face like that? Luke and Laura... all grown up and having grandchildren. How gross!

9 comments:

anno said...

As a once-upon-a-time Days of Our Lives fan, I sympathize. We no longer have any television reception, but when I checkout at the grocery store, I am often shocked to read that Roman and Marlene are still working things out, that Jack is still trying to win back Jennifer, that Victor is still evil, that everything in their world is much as it. No one ever grows up. Remarkable

anno said...

...that everything in their world is much as it was...

That's what I meant to say.

jen said...

nothing moves slower or is more constant that soap opera TV.

Rebecca said...

erk - frightening. You may be (approaching!) middle age...but at least you'll do so with a moveable face made of flesh.... :)

Romerican said...

GREAT post!
i was a general hospital girl myself and vividly remember luke & laura (luke with his permed afro!) and the disco.... ah, fond memories...
I had NO idea they were still at it though, wow! Talk about long-lived characters.

Jen of A2eatwrite said...

Very gross, and a recent development. I wasn't a soap fan, but my best friend was, and she drew me in to Luke and Laura at the disco time... and yes, it's too weird for words. I haven't seen them on the show, but saw interviews, etc.

BTW... we just had a new Italian family move to our neighborhood. I'm very excited!

|DBS|Dark_Alcolyte said...

Whats up with the pessimism, maybe you could interpret this as evidence of maintaining decent job security, even in a world that depends on your physical appearance, both on the screen and off.

Jenn in Holland said...

Hahahahahahaha! How gross indeed!
I remember clearly Luke and Laura and actually having to talk myself out of a deep depression over (one of) their breakups... telling myself over and over again: they are actors, it's not really happening. I had to lay off the obsessive watching of the saga/soap after that. Admittedly, haven't seen it in years and can completely imagine your reaction to seeing them all these years later.
Kinda ick for sure, and by that I mean the reality of my own middle age.
Oooh. Ick.

K said...

You had me at "General Hospital"...I am an expat that just moved to Norway (two months ago), and have spent the years since ti-vo was invented happy every night to watch all my favorite dramas. I see you noticed that Noah Drake was back :). I am still having withdrawls from it!

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks