Sunday, October 14, 2007

Morning on my street

Anyone who lived in Europe last winter, in the Alps in particular, knows that it basically never snowed. The sky would darken and the wind would blow, but no snow... the sky would open up and spurt out a sickly cold rain, and then things would soon become dusty again.

I cannot tell you how this depressed me. I thrive on the passing of the seasons. Life somehow makes more sense to me when the natural world changes and becomes new again. Ever since the boiling hot summer of 2004, when hundreds of people died across Europe from the scorching heat, the weather in northern Italy began to simmer and simmer. And the glorious snowfalls that I enjoyed during my early years there went from being the norm to a special event. Having absolutely no snow last year was a blow for me and my family. We are avid skiers, and skiing is one of the things we love to do together. I ripped the meniscus in my knee two years ago from a fall, and I got back on skis as soon as I could. That's how much I love it. We actually went skiing yesterday here...

Carol recently posted photographs from a walk outside her home, and invited me to do the same. This morning, I awoke to this magical view...




And as I walked down my street...


Soon my boys answered the call...


As it continued to snow...


Too bad we're out of carrots...

The only creature happier than my boys...


That was this morning. It's still snowing!



And the color of things is somewhere between silver and blue.

8 comments:

Greg said...

I too love the passing of the seasons, and can't imagine living in a place that was "stuck" with a constant temperature.

It is autumn in Minnesota: yellow, red, and golden leaves against low grey skies. Wisps of mist snake between tree trunks.

anno said...

Lucky you, with the early snow! Here, things are just starting to change. We turned on the heat earlier in the week, but during a walk through the arboretum this morning, we still saw wild roses and hydrangea in bloom. Snow will come, though, I am certain of it.

Beautiful pictures!

Karenkool said...

Awesome! We'll be doing some skiing/snowboarding this winter. It takes another two months before we can expect any snow--and that is icy at best. (We just closed our pool yesterday--weird). I'm totally looking forward to a week in the Rockies this January. Woohoo!!

Carol said...

People think I was crazy to not LOVE San Diego... but the lack of seasons was precisely why!

LOVE the photos! Thanks for answering my request!

Carol

Jennifer said...

It's still warmish here! Enjoy the snow!

Jenn in Holland said...

Woah. Now THAT is a season's change! Wonderful...

Goofball said...

oh my gosh, did you get snow already! That's amazing...where are you: in europe or in colorado?

Here in Belgium it's still sunny and about 15C. Seems like the entire year has been 15C: an unusual hot winter , a very hot spring (april was 30C), a lousy summer and a fairly nice fall. 2007 has not had any season changes so it seems. :(

Carol had tagged me too, I think I'll do my walk around the block in the coming weekend.

Rebecca said...

wow Jennifer- that is amazing - and it's still only autumn. I can hardly imagine what it's like in winter??!!