Sunday, December 9, 2007

free as a bird

It started snowing here on Thursday and only stopped this morning. Everything got the hushed, crinkly sound wrapped around it that only snow can create, and life was good. Schools were even closed on Friday for the joy of students and teachers alike. The snow kept falling and falling.



As I skied into the lift line today with my children and husband, a woman slammed me from behind. She was pissed. She had a very expensive haircut. Her outfit matched and looked like it cost more than I make in a month. She was wearing gloves, but I'm sure her nails were seriously manicured. I got up and turned to her to have a laugh, because everyone on the mountain, in the town where I live, laughs all the time. Smiles all the time. Feels happy to be alive. She scowled at me and told me to get out of her way.


I was surprised for a moment. Taken off guard by this rude, totally unacceptable intrusion into my laughing, snowflake existence. Then I watched her huff away and plow forward to finish up her day pass for a good time. And I felt sad for her. And free as a bird.



7 comments:

Jen of A2eatwrite said...

It's too bad she has to work so hard at having fun. I'm glad you get to have fun when you have fun. ;-)

Rebecca said...

my goodness just LOOK at that snow! One day I really hope I get to see snow like that.

And silly woman - taking her 'road rage' onto the ski fields!

Goofball said...

I am full of envy right now. I am druling at the thought of skiing! I look outside and I see too warm, too windy , too rainy weather.

....but I'll try to smile though today ;)

anno said...

So beautiful -- and it looks like so much fun!

Too bad that woman is so burdened by her need to get her money's worth that she's missing any chance at happiness.

MsCatCalls said...

Hi Im new to your blog . I wanted to say I love it so much , and everything you say strikes me as wonderful or brilliant. And the pictures ...
Ive hardly written my own blog in days Ive been so transfixed by your life .. thank you . Dont stop living as you do , and enjoying as you do , an dtaking pictures for those of us living by the sea in England who have no snow much !

kelly said...

A day off! I'm from Steamboat, and we never missed a day for snow, sadly. Your kids are lucky. Have they started building snow forts yet?

Jenn in Holland said...

Gorgeous shots Jenn. I love them. And so there on the unsmiling lady on the mountain. You just have to grab your fun and your enjoyment and relish it's every bit!