Friday, January 4, 2008

to my expat sisters

As I've written before, I'm not so good at socializing (it took me a couple of minutes to come up with that word, and I still don't like it). I've been called aloof, I think of myself as inept, and the whole thing makes me tired.

Writing, blogging in particular, changes that. Writing is one of the few exercises that almost compares with painting to me. I do not write drafts, do not think about what I am going to write about, do mull things over. I write when I want to and when I can. The fact that someone reads what I write is the greatest of compliments, and I get a little glow out of it each time.

As a former expat, and currently bewildered home comer, I know writing this blog has helped me grapple with it means to be alone, to be far from home, to not really know where home is anymore, and to pine for something intangible. My fellow expat bloggers have provided some of my greatest inspiration and have given me with their wisdom and camaraderie. They've walked a mile in my shoes, really. Jenn left the West to live in the Netherlands with her family, and her grace and joy as she writes of her experiences have been a beacon for me. I felt just the slightest bit jaded towards the end of my 15 years in Italy, and her first comment on this blog made me realize I wasn't so crazy. She really could understand my desire to return to the US where I could go to the supermarket in my pajamas - I think she called it sloppy stateside living... Oh to be understood!

Jenn included me in an illustrious list of recipients for an award (she does thing like that... she's very good at it)...



The gist is a big smacking kiss, and I can't thank her enough. I could use one of those right about now. So thank you, Jenn, for your patience and care and steadfastness. All qualities I admire and wish I could emulate.

I usually don't pass things on, but I can't resist passing this one on to two of my fellow Italian expat bloggers who have been a sunny reminder of all the great things about Italy. Jennifer, this is to thank you for reading and writing and sharing yourself with me. I see myself in you sometimes (only the best part of me, I promise). And Sognatrice, the perfect name for a true dreamer, an incredibly smart, eclectic, interesting, inspiring woman. If any of you haven't visited her blog, you're missing out.

Hats off to my sisters in Italy...

8 comments:

Jen of A2eatwrite said...

I love Sognatrice's blog and just discovered Jennifer's Italian Trivia through your mention of her, here. Wonderful blog!

I hope you've had good holidays.

anno said...

lovely voices, wonderful writing, and the magic of unexpected connections... all the reasons I keep showing up day after day.

sognatrice said...

Aw thank you so much! I love the idea of this award and I'm so honored to have received it from you, one of my newest and most treasured blogging friends. Visiting you is always a treat, and I love that I can even come in my pajamas ;)

Jenn in Holland said...

Oh, Jennifer, if knowing you have readers who appreciate what you write makes you feel glowy, can you even fathom just how glowy we get when we read what you write?
I cannot even begin to name the feeling in my heart this morning having read these incredibly generous words, but can tell you the way it displayed is with tears rolling down my cheeks. Thank you kindly, thank you deeply for your very sweet words. And of course for your incredible writing which drew me in months ago and will never let me go.

Also, must second your choices to award these women. Both are exceptional minds. It's wonderful to have found them as well.

Jennifer said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jennifer said...

Thank you! I tried to thank you above but had to delete my comment due to the incoherent English it contained.

So thank you! This was a nice surprise.

Beatriz said...

I came to your blog via Sognatrice's, and I have to say that I enjoyed every single post that I read on your blog. You have a wonderful way with words, and a very personal style. I am coming back! I will post a link to your blog on my own. Nice to meet you.

Fourier Analyst said...

Great selections and both ones I will have to spend some more time with soon!

And you really deserve it as well Sweetie. I am not really into all that blog-bling stuff. I hardly have the time to read and write and comment much less come up with such creative doo-dads. But you are one of the tops in my bookmark list of favorites and I love not only what you write, but the images and photos you share. It gives me such a different perspective and that is something I can really use sometimes!