Thursday, June 12, 2008

home

In a strangely unexpected poignant moment, I watched my husband and children get on a plane to Italy yesterday.

I am alone with mountains of work that I can finally tend to without interruptions. I don't have to cook or wash boys' underwear or share the bathroom for nearly three whole weeks. I can watch my movies and walk around naked. I can basically do what ever I want...

I wish they would come home already.



............................................................................


On another note of great importance to add to my never boring life, we signed a contract on a home Monday. A home. A real home.

It has three bedroom plus a studio for me and looks like a gingerbread house. It is a house... not a town home or condo, which my expat friends in Italy can surely appreciate. We share walls with no one. I can't resist it.

I'm posting a picture of what it will look like. I say will, because it's being built. Brand new. Another joy for someone who spent the last fifteen years in a sixteenth century house!


5 comments:

Jen of A2eatwrite said...

Oh, Jennifer, it's lovely! That's so exciting.

I'm both glad for you and sorry for you that you this respite from the boys. It's a bit of a double-edged sword, isn't it?

cathouse teri said...

What a beautiful home!

Here's what I wrote about a year ago on that lonely issue of mothers in a house alone.

http://cathouseteri.blogspot.com/2007/05/its-moms-turn.html

anno said...

What a beautiful home -- I'm so happy for you!

Time alone is a mixed gift; if it's what is on offer, you might as well appreciate it while it's here. And be glad that it will end soon.

Jennifer said...

So cute! I love it! I would love to live in a house that homey. It sort of calls to you, doesn't it. I can see you working or reading out on that porch with your dog warming your bare feet.

Congratulations. Good for you!

Sorry you're missing your family. Hope they are back home to you soon.

Betsy said...

Congratulations on your new home! It looks very cozy!

I can really relate to the feeling of craving silence and then not knowing what to do when you finally get it!

I hope you enjoy your time alone, that you get a lot of work done and that you can fully relish the solitude!