Sunday, July 6, 2008

a reminder

Someone we knew well died in Italy the day before my family came back. She was mowing her lawn and somehow managed to mow over an electrical cable that was connected to her swimming pool. She died right there on her lawn on a Sunday afternoon. Her two year old daughter was there.
My husband went to pay his respects, and he said our friend's husband was sitting on the floor of their house while people milled around his lumpish form in the middle of the room. All he could say was What am I going to do? What am I going to do?
We never know what is waiting for us around the corner. Since my boys have returned I have spent my time with them on the couch watching dumb movies and riding our bicycles. I haven't written anything until tonight. I've been too busy soaking in every minute of the luck around me. Sometimes it takes a reminder.

3 comments:

jen said...

indeed. how tragic. how sad for her child and her father.

Jen of A2eatwrite said...

How absolutely tragic. Yet we can get some selfish reminders and love from cataclysmic events. I'm so glad you have everyone back, safe and sound.

I, too, am spending a lot of silly, goof around time with C. They grow way too quickly at this age.

Jennifer said...

Glad they are back with you safe and sound. You must be so happy to have them home again.

I am so sorry about the death of your friend. Her poor family.