Wednesday, August 6, 2008

that first hint of change

No spring nor summer beauty hath such grace as I have seen in one autumnal face.~John Donne


Last night it happened. That first really cool wind and smell of fall in the air. My first walk with my fleece on. The sound of the leaves rustling in the wind.

The short, chaotic bursting of summer here is coming to an end. I've never run into as many animals... deer in people's gardens, foxes on the steps, porcupines on the sidewalk, as I have in the past week. Each time I step outside it's a surprise. Most people have taken their humming bird feeders inside. The bears have become greedy for the nectar. There is a wild rush to eat and drink and frolic as much as possible before summer abruptly closes.

I, on the other hand, can feel an inkling of myself coming back to life.

5 comments:

anno said...

My daughter droops in the summer, too. Insists on wearing long wool skirts and tall winter boots in open defiance of the season, as if she could will winter away. She, too, has been happy to see shorter days and cooler nights.

I envy you wearing fleece on your walk. That experience is a month or more away for us.

Jen of A2eatwrite said...

Even though it's sweltering here in Michigan right now, I saw quantities of apples at the Farmer's Market this morning and felt that first hint of fall, too.

That and spring are my two favorite seasons - fall, the promise of a new school year; spring, the promise of the end to the school year.

Greg said...

My wife is from the South, and truly cherishes the brief summer in Minnesota. Her enjoyment of summer has helped me to appreciate it more.

For me, Fall holds a magic and excitement that is unsurpassed by the other seasons.

cathouse teri said...

I love it when I come back to life. :)

Jenn in Holland said...

I have been in my fleece nearly the whole of the summer, and am having the opposite reaction to the impending autumn which feels like it's whistling down the wind here in The Hague.
Though, I do love the season, it does mean cold relentless gray winter will also be back. Sooner than I am ready, I assure you.