Tuesday, September 16, 2008

go


Please go vote this time. Please consider what is really best for you and your family. Please be thoughtful and sincere. Please ask yourself what kind of country and world you want your children and grandchildren to inherit.

I moved away from the United States during the Clinton era. I remember well the open arms that welcomed me all across Europe and Asia. I remember what it was like when people asked me where I was from, and what my Americaness meant then to the world at large.

I also remember how grateful I was in the last several years to speak Italian without an accent. How I rarely let on that I was foreign, and when I did I surely did not want to tell people I was an American. This was where our place in the world at large was when I came home last year. I know it seems not to matter as long as you live here. Who cares what those foreigners think, anyway? But there was a time not so long ago when many still considered the US to be a beacon of light.

I miss those times.

So whatever you think when you take away all of the trappings of politics and media and sensationalism is important.

Go vote. Please. Go.

3 comments:

Greg said...

Yes, yes, by all means go vote. And we should all remember that voting is just one of the participatory democratic actions we as citizens can take!

anno said...

Vote, yes! And use your voice, just as you have!

Jen of A2eatwrite said...

Wonderful post, Jennifer. I couldn't agree more.