Thursday, November 6, 2008

days of hope and glory


Never did I feel more foreign during my many years in a foreign country like I did when talking about how I felt about my country. That's probably why I avoided doing that as a rule. I was abroad at a time when America's wind turned sour, and my feelings of pride and love were often tinged with guilt. There is something intangible that happens to a child who grows up in our country which was hard to fathom in Italy. While Italians grow up with a crucifix in their classrooms, post offices and courtrooms, we grow up with the flag. These are things I never realized about myself until I left. I was inherently American.
Of course we have been wreakers of havoc and polluters and war mongers. We have also been the hope and dreams and open arms of the world, that place that is aspired to.
Like so many others, I cannot say what it has meant to me to be here... really here with my children and house and job and life, at such as auspicious time. I feel humbled and starstruck. I feel hopeful and energized. I feel all the potential of the fruits of hard work before me.
I feel proud.
I feel gleeful.
I feel home, finally.

3 comments:

Beatriz Macias said...

I can relate to your words. Now, I am looking forward to our return to the states, which will happen in less than two years. I am hopeful and happy. My adopted country is once again.

Dame Aurélie said...

Hey Jennifer,
Im a Belgian, expat in Italy for over a year... and I so recognize myself in your writing!
Im dying to go home, but the Italian half of me (my boyfriend) is not very willing to follow...difficult times. Im asking myself a lot of questions. But doing my job here (Im a psychlogist) seems impossible, where him doing hs job in Belgium (envirnmentalist, working in legambiente) seems as impossible...
What do you miss of Italy?

Jen of A2eatwrite said...

It's truly a glorious time. I hope that Obama can make real change. We sorely need it!

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks