Sunday, December 7, 2008

the drop in

My husband at the bottom of the precipice, waiting for me to drop in. He always goes first.

In the lingo of skiing, a drop in is a decisive moment. A drop in cannot take place on a groomed, meandering ski slope full of tourists. A drop in can only take pace in what seems to be and is respectfully called a cliff. A drop in usually is the goal, the reason you hike with your skis up the crest of the mountain, or the reason you brave the wind whipping the life out of you.
There is a moment as you stand atop the precipice that you wonder what on earth you are doing there. But that moment only lasts as long as it takes you to take a deep breath. Then you go. And you can't turn back even if you wanted to. The speed and concentration take you over, and you are committed to the moment without reserve.
A drop in is a study in life, in marriage, in parenthood. You do it, you don't control it, you cannot go back. The thrill is in the doing. The joy is in trudging back up the hill. The why is something we don't quite understand. The payback is indescribable.

1 comment:

linda said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Joyce

http://www.videophonesguide.com