Monday, March 22, 2010

Finally

Ironically, I spent most of yesterday afternoon discussing with my brother, who is an attorney, how I could negotiate bankruptcy from medical costs and not lose my house. Mine was a hypothetical discussion, but I wanted to be clear exactly how the law works, because I cannot continue to pay my premiums, and have decided to go uninsured. I would rather pay for daily medical costs than continue to stuff the coffers of my insurance company. It's humiliating and embarrassing for such a stoic as myself, but the reality of "what is" caught up with the possibility of "what if", and there is no way I reconcile what I am doing now.

Then I came back to my hotel late and turned on the news, and my stomach souring, furrowed brow acidity retreated just a little. If things change the way they may, I may just make it. I had lost hope.

Welcome to the 21st century. Welcome to a more civilized society. Welcome to even just a little evolution and humanity.

No comments: