Friday, September 10, 2010

Brouhaha


I'm not sure about anyone else out there, but I am running. Taking cover. The world around me in America feels so out of control, so disastrous, such a brouhaha, that I find my self turning away and away. Not that I have ever participated overmuch, but my instinct is to avoid despair by refusing to look.

Reason and thought are being continuously usurped by ignorance and idiocy. Religion, objectively an imaginary, fantastical, intangible belief in something no one can ever explain, but which so many people are using to spout and speak in tongues from their pulpits on imaginary mounts is once again tearing up the world around me. Again. For the umpteenth time throughout history. Would you please all just shut up about it? All of you? Has history taught us nothing?

We are still fighting a senseless war in Afghanistan. We are still a country which does not provide health care to its own people, me included. We are still hunkered down in Iraq, "nation building" in a country we invaded on false pretenses. We are still fat, our children cannot keep up with the most of the children around the globe in reading and math, we still cannot even spell.

The only bright spot of the week for me was my son's hero, Stephen Hawking, giving another moment of pure thought and mystery, making everything seem more bearable...

"It is not necessary to invoke God to light the blue touch paper and set the universe going."

Think about it.

0 comments:

 

© New Blogger Templates | Webtalks